Friday, April 15, 2016

HEART ON MY SLEEVE

"It's college" everyone says. "There is no way that you should be thinking about relationships during these next 4 years." Why is that everyone is against the idea of dating in college?  I understand we live in a generation where commitment isn't really such a thing anymore, but still... isn't there at least that one romantic couple out here?

There is Kanye West and Kim Kardashian, Jay Z and Beyonce, and even Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi. There are a lot of married couples we can look up to, but it is sad to say that the people I hang around with do not care about that. If anything, there are more infatuated with the idea of "getting laid" than focusing on commitment. "Everyone just want to party, drink, and black out. Nobody is thinking about relationships dude" my friend always tells me. But that's them, that doesn't mean I have to follow their footsteps right?

Wrong. Probably I'm looking for something in a place that doesn't exist. These fraternities parties is the complete opposite of a long term commitment. Instead, it is full of temptations and one night stands that do not matters at all. It is just temporary satisfaction. Why not look for everlasting satisfaction?

 I love it when people tell me that they are in a relationship or witness a couple holding hands together, laughing and telling jokes at each other. It just a beautiful feeling seeing other people happily in love. That is why I have even more respect for those that chose to skip partying in Greek life and actually settle down with someone meaningful. It speaks volumes about a person's maturity level and their views when they decide to take that ladder in their life. But it is deeper than that.

What is influencing our generation to focus more on sex, drugs, alcohol, and anything else that our previous generations didn't do that heavily? Some say that its the parents' fault on the way how they raise their children. There isn't a wrong answer to this question, but in my opinion, I think it is the music. Specifically, Hip Hop. We idolize these rappers that promote degradation of

women, getting money and getting females, and even devaluing education by saying they did not finishing college or high school but still is doing fine. So, it kinda do make sense that no one in college don't really care about relationships, but it just kills me when my boys talk about their body's counts or when females talk about their one night stands they had from the previous nights. I just want to hear something different you know? Good for you that you got with a girl from a top tier sorority. Or good for you that you got with that hot guy in that top tier fraternity. What's more impressive is telling me how long your longest relationship lasted. That's more impressive. But hey, that's just me. Not everyone agrees with me or see my standpoint on relationships in college.  If so, more people will be in relationships than what we have now. Thank you everyone that commented and viewed my blog. It was great writing for you guys. Take care :)

5 comments:

  1. the hookup culture is REAL in college. there is no real way to get away from it. but being someone who is ready to settle down I would have to say its hard to find that person when all the potential prospects are drafted into the college lifestyle. So that is why we turn up I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture, lol.
    Bu I agree, it does seem impossible to get out of the "hook-up" culture in college. I do think our generation is shy towards commitment a bit. But it's better to just not to be in a relationship if you can's stay faithful.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post Khalil. You're right, I know so few people that are still in relationships in college. Also, you always hear stories of people cheating on their partners in college too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What distinct human being from other animals is that we have an ability to think rationally. We are not animals who are obsessed with reproducing. We have an ability to think logically and rationally. I think your blogging posts are really well colliding with Aidan's blog post about singles. Nowadays I think many people don't want to limit their personal freedom and that makes them not to commit to just one person. I don't think we can say such thing is bad or good, but I personally don't like that. I agree that we have to love and date. Not just having a sex and drug is not the reason why we live this world.

    Thank you for your blog. I always appreciate your warm writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this post! I think the hook up culture here is very interesting and in all honesty pretty disgusting. I don't see why we should make it a goal to sleep with as many people as possible. Instead we should spend our time getting to know others and build lasting relationships.

    ReplyDelete